Monday, August 21, 2006

OH. MY. GOD.

I think the best thing to do when you're more than 10 games out of any sort of playoff contention is to trade a dependable infielder for a minor league catcher. I'm sure nothing bad will come from this. I mean, the Cubs lineup has so much depth and strength! Besides, how many more games can we lose?

I honestly think Hendry did this to screw over the White Sox. Seriously. Think about it. Neifi goes to Detroit, the Sox are asleep already, it's a no-sweat finish to the regular season for the Tigers. The "enemy of my enemy is my friend" kind of thing. But you know what? I think it's pretty cool that some team in Chicago wins once in a while. I won't purport to be a fan of the Sox, but I think it's pretty okay that they are reviving baseball in Chicago as more than an excuse to get drunk and stupid and fall down bleachers.

Seriously though. Neifi was a pretty good player. He didn't always hit, when he did it wasn't particularly fantastic, but he was dependable on the infield. In his place is a (can you guess?) minor leaguer! Which, if you've been counting, makes the Cubs total line up about 75% minor guys. Actually, that was a ballpark figure, but it couldn't be too far off. Hendry is definitely in a counting-chickens-hoping-they-hatch mode, and while that may be fine and dandy for the future, we're playing like crap in the present. So they'll fire Dusty, who's actually doing the best he can with the dregs that he gets from Hendry, and the Cubs will not improve and they will sit at the bottom of the division for many many more years of heatbreak and sorrow.

Is it masochistic to be a Cubs and a Red Sox fan? I think so. I've given up on the Cubs, the BoSox were doing so well and now they are slumping, and I find myself utterly giving up on baseball. Thank God pre-season football has started already. I'll be able to drown my sports sorrows in Bears games very very soon.

***Edit: the boys over at CubDumb don't agree with me. We shall see. We shall see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home