Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The Injury Report

Ooooh jeez. This is a really bad time for the Red Sox to turn into the Yankees.

(And by "turn into the Yankees," I of course mean "have half the roster on the DL.")

Red Sox Nation received a nice slap in the face Monday night when catcher Jason Varitek left the game an inning after he rounded second base, uttered an "Oh SHIT," and proceeded to limp home on a Wily Mo Pena triple. Now he's on the DL with a torn meniscus and out for at least four to six weeks. Not good times, my friends.

And if that isn't enough, Trot Nixon is also out with a strained right bicep muscle. The injuries just keep piling up. Also on the DL: Matt Clement, Keith Foulke, Lenny Dinardo, and Tim Wakefield.

I love how two key players got injured on the day of the trade deadline. Super timing. All I have to say is, it's a damn good thing the Sox didn't use Wily Mo Pena as trade bait. But it's unfortunate that our next best option with Varitek on the DL was to call up Ken Huckaby, a guy who boasts little more than a cool last name. In 68 games this season with AAA Pawtucket, he batted .207 with two homeruns and 16 RBIs. And in the majors: 153 games and 422 at-bats, hitting .233 with three homers and 30 RBIs. Oy. Having Josh Bard around looks good right about now. Let's hope Mirabelli can hold the fort.

*****

In other news, Jeremy Shockey has taken the reins as professional football's resident idiot. During Giants press day:

"Everyone knows I drink here and everyone knows I go out and party but I take good care of my body. I take vitamins every day. I get acupuncture, massages, tons of things to keep body healthy. If I go out and drink one night, I guarantee the next day I am getting heavily replenished with water and massages. I respect my body tremendously."

Well, that's good to hear. Shockey also criticized Eli Manning and sustained a concussion the other day, which he promptly blamed on safety Will Demps. Oh, and he called Giants Coach Tom Coughlin "an ass." Looks like T.O. has some competition this season.

1 Comments:

Blogger BAC said...

I've been away on vacation and saw Baseball Tonight this morning for the first time, and my immediate reaction was to text Suzie and be like "OH GOD WHAT HAPPENED I'VE ONLY BEEN GONE FOR A WEEK". Le sigh.

12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home