Tuesday, November 08, 2005

football

i was going to write a stirring diatribe on baseball curses and superstition... but it's football season. SO.

Let's start with my hometown heroes. The Bears are 5-3 in the season so far, which puts them on top of their division. Scary, huh? They have a good QB who can pass and everything (thank god for draft picks...). Orton's going to keep doing well this season and the famous Bears defense will help get this team wins. In division news, the Packers are off to a woeful start at 1-7. Ouchies. The interesting part of that is Brett Favre is doing pretty well still. He completes his passes and moves the ball... but he's out there all alone. It makes my life better, but I (almost) feel bad for the cheeseheads.

Onto MNF. The big game of the season. Colts at Patriots. I called the Colts on this one, but Mike Ditka said the Pats might syke them out and take it. Coach, you were wrong on this one. The Colts dominated, leading the game every quarter. So that makes the Colts undefeated. My Superbowl pick? Yeah, Colts are there. Everything about them looks good. The defense is great (a few turnovers in the game), the offense moves the ball fast and efficiently. Payton Manning is just awesome to watch. He had some interception problems, but overall it was awesome to see him play. Tom Brady, on the other hand, looked a little haggard. He was still playing great football and made some stunning plays, but he looked tired. And then he just looked pissed.

About the Patriots. I've never really been a fan. I mean, they're a good team, but everyone was screaming "DYNASTY!" after ring #2. There are arguments that the Bulls weren't a dynasty in the 90s, and they had 8 titles. The Pats are technically good, and they have the great team dynamics that my OB prof lectured about, but I've never been passionate about them. And then I saw some doofas with a "Chowda-Head". I don't like Green Bay. But I've always thought that the triangles of yellow styrofoam were clever and distinctive, if nothing else. Seeing a ripoff raised my eyebrow more than a little. Who comes up with this stuff?

My picks of teams to watch:

-Giants: This is not just lipservice for my roommate. Eli is coming into his own nicely and their defense is looking good.

-Seahawks: Matt Hasselbeck is keeping these guys on their feet.

-Bengals: Their defense is HUGE. The matchup with the Colts should be good.

-Bears: Hey look! They have a good QB! Is the world ending?

-Colts: See above. I'm predicting Superbowl champs. Everything about this team is good.

-Steelers: I secretly love the Steelers. Even without Roethlisberger they do well.

-Broncos: They're finally back in Superbowl contention. This club takes the football all the way down the field. Which is generally a good thing in football.

My mother's all nostalgic about Superbowl I now that we're at XL. Seriously, what did we do before football?

4 Comments:

Blogger BAC said...

"This club takes the football all the way down the field. Which is generally a good thing in football." Hahahaha, you rock.

6:16 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

How fantastic would a Colts-Giants Superbowl be? Oooooh man. OH MAN.

2:40 AM  
Blogger Suzie said...

Eli v. Payton! MANNING ON MANNING ACTION! LOLZ! Oh God I need to go back to bed and stop eating muffins.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Manton said...

Seahawks are being kept alive by Alexander, the Bears have had a good qb but he's been injured, and Broncos for Superbowl? Let's slow down and see if they can win a playoff game without Elway.

12:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home