Sunday, December 11, 2005

because who wants to study when they can blog into the void?

Giants, Morris close to deal
FoxSports.Com, 12/11/05
The Giants and right-hander Matt Morris are close to a three-year deal worth about $25 million, FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports.

Uhm, what? Matt Morris at 3/$25m? Whatever Brian Sabean's smoking, I want some of it. No, wait, I don't. I do enough stupid things as it is. God damn, dude.

Red Sox discussing Clemens
Boston Globe, 12/11/05
The Red Sox have communicated with Roger Clemens's agents, the Hendricks brothers, over the past few days to express their interest in the future Hall of Famer if he elects to play in 2006.

Pam will say differently, but I am all over this. And not just for sentimental reasons having to do with my eleven-year-old self's broken heart when he signed with Toronto. Bring back one of the best pitchers ever to don the laundry, along with Beckett and a hopefully-rehabilitated Schilling, and I can start wasting more money I don't have on "2006 World Champions" merchandise. Good God, did you see the man last season? I don't care if he's oldLOL. We're talking about someone who put up an ERA+ of 221 at the age of 149 or whatever he is now. A.J. Burnett and Matt Morris are signing contracts far above what they'd be making in a more competitive market; why not go after Clemens and see what happens? We could have a wacky six-man rotation like the '97 Braves or something.

Ramirez offered for Tejada
Boston Globe, 12/10/05
One day after the Red Sox traded a former All-Star shortstop, Edgar Renteria, the club offered Manny Ramírez to the Baltimore Orioles for Miguel Tejada, arguably baseball's most dynamic shortstop, according to industry sources.

This deal, dissected and analyzed to death everywhere else, merits special mention on Chickball if only because my mom called me yesterday to talk about it. Usually, she calls to check that I'm still alive, that I'm still attending class, and to pass along juicy tidbits of gossip from the homestead, but yesterday, it was about possible Manny deals. (And to ask me if anyone was going to sign Kevin Millar. For unknown reasons, my mom really likes Kevin Millar. Hey, I don't ask questions. She got hit on by Ron Guidry once, though, which is kind of cool.)

And I quote: "Honey, I just don't care anymore. Manny wants out, let him out! I'm sick of him whining. If he didn't want people to pay attention to him, then he shouldn't have let the photographers into his house."

I am of two minds on this. Part of me agrees with my mom; Manny wants to be traded approximately every five seconds, so why not fulfill the request and make it someone else's problem? But part of me agrees with my dad, who was hollering something in the background and whose Manny jersey is so washed-out that it's practically purple; you can't replace that kind of production. Unless, of course, it's with Miguel Tejada. Apparently, he and David Ortiz are like BFFs or whatever, which is kind of neat. Speaking of David Ortiz, he winters in Wisconsin. I wonder what he thinks about the Packers these days. Why am I talking about this?

Sox work on return of Epstein
Boston Globe, 12/10/05
Red Sox ownership is working to bring back former general manager Theo Epstein in a consulting/advisory position, according to team sources.

This is the part of the post where I begin hoping against hope. COME BACK, THEO. YOUR DAD, WHO IS PRETTY MUCH THE MOST AWESOME PERSON EVER, IS WRITING ME A GRAD SCHOOL RECOMMENDATION AND SOMEHOW, I FEEL LIKE THIS SHOULD FACTOR INTO YOUR DECISION TO FULFILL MY CHRISTMAS WISH. Well, the one that doesn't involve the first season of Veronica Mars on DVD and a jack-in-the-box that looks like David Ortiz. (No, I'm serious. I want the Ortiz-in-a-Box like you wouldn't believe.)

Also, this needs to be discussed --
Shaquille O'Neal becomes Miami Beach cop
WLPG, 12/8/05
The newest police detective on Miami Beach won't be hard to find -- he's 7 feet 1 inch tall, and weighs more than 300 pounds. Miami Heat star Shaquille O'Neal took his official oath Thursday afternoon.

I really want to know who the hell would mess with Shaq. He might go all Kazaam! on your ass. But seriously, can we get a TV show about this? Law and Order: Shaq Fu would work well.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pam said...

Miggy's OBP worries me a bit, but I'm with your mom on this one. Get the whiner out of Beantown.

And also, I'm not totally against bringing The Rocket back. I do wonder what kind of reception he'd get, though, considering how many fans around here hate his guts.

8:09 PM  
Blogger Manton said...

Well, no need to worry about Tejada, because he never demanded a trade afterall, and just wants to see the O's get some pitching.

What's that giant hole between 2nd and 3rd in Fenway?!?!

1:18 AM  
Blogger Suzie said...

Yeah, there's an Ortiz-in-the-Box. It exists in this random MLB catalog that got delivered to my house last month.

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home