Thursday, December 01, 2005

billy the kid goes to the big apple

So I'm a couple days late on this, but Billy Wagner has gone to the Mets for $10.75 million a year for the next four years. Considering how closers are such a rarity, and thus such a hot ticket on the hot stove this year, I could talk about that but I'm not going to. Anyone worth their salt in baseball should already know about that.

Billy was a 1st round draft pick for the Astros in 1993... and I met him his rookie season in '96. Actually, he came into one game in '95, but yeah really that doesn't count. I remember going to the mall's baseball card trading store (do those exist anymore, by the way? There used to be one in like every mall...) with my mom because she had seen an ad that Billy "the Kid" was going to be signing that day. I'd been to a Caminiti signing before (he was drunk/hungover/drugged), and I'd waited foreverrrr for that one. But at this signing, Billy was still a relative unknown, being a rookie, even though it seemed like everyone in the baseball world was already talking about his amazing fastball speed at 98,99, 100. There were about three people in front of me in line, and no one was behind me. I handed Billy my precious rookie card of him, and he signed it, and then he sat back and asked me, with that deep Southern drawl, "How're ya doin today?" I don't remember what I said but it started a short conversation with him and then some other dad came up behind us, so my mom and I said goodbye and then we left.

I don't know why I just told that story, but it's one I always remember, and I remember how nice he was, and how unassuming, and I definitely remember his drawl. I still have that baseball card in my collection with my many others, and I still remember the excitement I had after having a real conversation with a major leaguer. I was eleven, so I was still allowed have that "little kid, meet a sports star, be in awe" kind of attitude.

Billy's not been an Astro for several years now, but he's one of those players I've always followed closely, even since he got dumped by the 'Stros (although I can't totally say I blame them... I mean, just LOOK at the monster Lidge is). Now he's off to New York to be a Met (thank goodness not the other side), making major money and being the latest hot ticket item sold off. I hope he's still as nice and genteel and unassuming as he was 9 years ago. And I hope if some little kid asked him for his autograph, he'd give it to them and then ask, "How ya doin today?"

***

And in other news, the Red Sox are suing Mientkiewicz for the World Series ball. It's one year "on loan" period has ended and now Dougy wants it back. Seriously, guys, it's a ball. I mean, I know it has huge symbolic meaning and purposes and everything, but just give it up to the team. Or Cooperstown, which is probably a better idea. Then you can all just stop fighting and the Sox can focus their attention elsewhere - say, the lack of a GM. Well now, there's an idea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home