Thursday, March 16, 2006

An update from Aussie land

First, can I just say how happy it makes me to hear about Johnny Damon's tendinitis? (In his THROWING SHOULDER. I know! *gasp*) If I were Brian Cashman, I would not be "calm," as ESPN reported. As far as I'm concerned, this brings his arm one step closer to actually falling off, as I (however bitterly) predicted.

*****

"He worries about what people say about him and he Googles himself."
-- David Wells on Bud Selig

Say what you want about Fat Sack David Wells, but there's no denying his entertainment factor. I mean, you've seen his website, right? (Interestingly, when you type www.boomer33.com into your task bar, it automatically redirects you to his MLB.com player profile. What a shame.)

*****

So, I read Bill Simmons' column about Willie McGinest leaving the Patriots and I'm just as devastated as he is. When I started following the Pats in the mid-90's, Willie was the first player I heard of. 1995 sure was an exciting season for him (and Pats fans): 69 tackles and 11 sacks. Not too shabby. And he was the kind of guy you'd want your kids to choose as their favorite player. Now, after 12 seasons with New England, he's been released.

This is worse than Nomar or Clemens leaving the Sox. This is like Tim Wakefield ending his career with the Royals or something.

Simmons is right. "In a league in which veterans switch teams every spring as if someone stuck all 32 rosters on an iPod and pressed shuffle, couldn't we use a little built-in continuity?" A kind of system in which teams got a little extra cash to re-sign veterans would affect very few players yet make many happy. It also has the potential to make players more loyal (and owners, in turn, the same). When I read about football and baseball players spending their entire careers with one team, I can't help but wish for the good old days. Imagine buying a player's jersey and knowing you'll be able to wear it for the rest of your life. Crazy, right? I can't tell you how many people I know who've dished out $200 for their favorite player's jersey and then next season, poof, the guy is gone and they're left with an out-dated article of clothing. (A friend's friend purchased his very own authentic Orlanda Cabrera jersey after the Sox won the World Series, sure they would re-sign him. We all know how THAT turned out.)

It's strange. We all devote ourselves to that one special team, yet season-to-season, the rosters are so drastically altered that we often don't recognize more than half the players come opening day. It all comes down to our society's obsession with money, and no matter how much I write about it and how many articles I read, it just seems so wrong.

By the way, Willie is now playing for the Cleveland Browns. My god.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home