Sunday, April 16, 2006

it's wacky stats time

NOTE: It's come to my attention that, contrary to what we Chickballers thought, we have a pretty wide readership. (Hi, cousins!) So, to give everyone the opportunity to shoot us some feedback (examples of desired comments include "Emily and Amy, you provide a refreshing non-Bostonian perspective"; "This is Jason Varitek and yes, Beth and Pam, I will marry both of you"; and "Would you like to run this American League baseball club when you graduate, Suzie?") and to puff up our own egos, commenting is now open to non-Blogger members. Just do us all a favor and sign your comments, please!

It's been a weird season so far.

Case in point -- the Boston Red Sox. Mike Lowell ain't dead, Manny Ramirez might be, contract extension talks are happening entirely under the radar, Coco Crisp's finger fell off, and I breathe a sigh of relief when an untested almost-rookie steps onto the mound in a tight save situation. I'm lost, kids, lost like David Wells in a Whole Foods, but first place always feels good.

But Boston's not the only place where things are nutty -- let's take a look at some of the stat leaders so far.

HRs, AL: Chris Shelton, DET. It's always a little strange when you read the stat leader column in the Sunday paper and immediately have to check BaseballReference.com to find out who the hell said stat leader is. For example, I thought Chris Shelton's name was "Ron" or something, and I was pretty sure he was a White Sock. Nope, he's a Tiger. Who knew? Sure as hell not me.

Anyway, Shelton's tied with Albert "A Bad Season Would Involve an OPS under 1.000, and I Can't Believe You Suckers Let Me Fall to the 13th Round" Pujols for the MLB lead, so that's pretty damn wacky right there.

Wins, NL: Oscar Villareal, ATL. This team has Smoltz. It has Huddy. It's got Mike Remlinger, who really isn't very good, but whom I believed to be dead until quite recently, so he gets a mention. But of the Braves' six wins so far, Oscar Villareal (again, whose name I believed to be "Omar") is the pitcher of record in four of them. He leads all of MLB in wins, too, and get this: he's a reliever. Apparently, being in the right place at the right time pays. Just ask Ramiro "The Embedded Yankee" Mendoza, Member, 2004 World Champion Red Sox.

Saves, AL: Jonathan Papelbon, BOS. Seriously, Jonathan Papelbon? Jonathan Papelbon looks like he should be squiring Dakota Fanning to the prom or something. Jonathan Papelbon is, like, 12 years old. But Jonathan Papelbon is the salve for my team's ninth-inning woes, and for that, I have enthusiastically jumped on the Papelwagon. (I love young, fireballing closers: see Street, Huston.) Seven saves in seven chances, leads all of MLB. Mariano Rivera and Trevor Hoffman are tied for 27th. Y'know, just sayin'.

AVG, AL: Ramon Hernandez, BAL. No, seriously? Ramon Hernandez is hitting .568 and is 2nd in OBP behind Chris "Ron" Shelton? I'd forgotten Ramon Hernandez actually existed after he stopped being an Oakland A (and then I only paid attention to him because he was catching Huddy, Mulder, and Zito). I think I believed him to be an astray Molina or something. Anyway, props to you, Mr. Hernandez, for being en fuego in April. I'm sure it'll assuage the pain of being on an absolutely abysmal team come August.

HBP, AL: Jason Kendall, OAK. Okay, I guess I'm only surprised about this because I feel like the uncontested leader in this category should always be Alex Rodriguez. Oh, like you wouldn't.

1 Comments:

Blogger Suzie said...

** snakes on a plane has pwned cheers mates **

12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home