Thursday, August 31, 2006

The End.

Ok, I've been MIA for a while. Mostly because the Red Sox and I are not on speaking terms and I've kind of isolated myself from Major League Baseball because it's... just too painful to follow. (Instead, how bout that Andre Agassi?) But I shall remain silent no longer, after receiving the following IM from my friend Rob this evening:

"Sweet! We got (another) catcher who can't hit for Wells!"

Now, I first read this as "We got (another) catcher who can't hit to catch for Wells." Not "for Wells." Not "in exchange for Wells." Call me crazy, call me an overreacting fan, but the Red Sox just officially gave up on their season. To me, Wells was a ray of hope on the team. When he took the mound, I'd think, "Well, the Sox actually have a chance to (*gasp*) win tonight." He was arguably our most consistent pitcher and I kept thinking that if Wakefield et al came off the DL soon-ish, we could potentially make a September surge and at least compete for a playoff spot. Now? Nope. When Julian Tavarez is starting the game, you know Tito's all like, "Well fuck. It doesn't fucking matter at this point." (Yes, I said Julian Tavarez. JULIAN TAVAREZ started tonight. You can't make this stuff up.) It's completely ridiculous to me how the front office has reacted to this Varitek situation by acquiring mediocre catcher after mediocre catcher, as if someone will just magically click with the young pitching staff and be the answer to all our prayers. Please. This team overacheived a good amount of the season (thanks to the Orioles and National League) and after a string of injuries to key players, the shit hit the fan. Finally.

It's very telling when I, the uber baseball fan, am looking forward to the NHL starting up. At least then I won't have to wake up to Dennis and Callahan on WEEI talking about how Theo Epstein should be fired at the end of the season. Oy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home