Monday, August 21, 2006

the expected post-o-melodrama

I'm not even all that capable of talking about it.

Right now, I'm sitting around in sweatpants and listening to the The Virgin Suicides soundtrack on repeat, staring at my 2004 World Champions hat and wondering if that playoff run was seriously less than two years ago. I didn't even bother watching the game today; I knew the outcome as soon as Jorge Posada added insult to injury in the 10th last night. Beth and I didn't even bother sticking around for this one; we left during the rain delay and spent our hard-earned dollars on tickets to Snakes on a Plane. Wise decision, no? But that's a story for another time.

This feels like a nasty, slow breakup, right down to the wardrobe and the music choice. Realizing that your favorite team couldn't win a game with a step-by-step manual right now is like finding out that your boyfriend's just cheated on you for the eighth time in a year -- it hurts like hell and you're not really sure what to do with yourself, but you knew the track record and you were kinda expecting this all along. You try to rebound, but whether it's with other guys or the Oakland Athletics, it's not the same.

I don't even care that it was the Yankees. The 2006 Red Sox shouldn't be losing five games in a row to any team. But the bullpen's about as solid as Maurice Clarett's sanity, and playing musical catchers hasn't helped matters; the bulletproof closer's got a bad case of dead-arm, and I don't even want to look at the Boston papers' sports sections right now.

The parents say that this is what 1978 felt like, the summerlong collapse and crushing inevitability; I believe it. I've been a Red Sox fan since Day One, but I can't remember a time during which I was this dismissive of and disappointed in my team. I've never given up before. I've never left a game before the last out, and I've never flipped on the TV and opted for the Little League World Series and reruns of MTV's Parental Control over a Red Sox-Yankees matchup. Knowing when following every out of a game is potentially detrimental to your health and opting to use your time more wisely -- I guess this is what being a casual fan is like.

And it sucks.

But watching baseball isn't fun right now.

3 Comments:

Blogger BAC said...

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/08/22/warning_these_truths_may_hurt/?page=full

Bob Ryan's column was excellent today, at least in my opinion

11:34 AM  
Blogger BAC said...

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/
redsox/articles/2006/08/22/
warning_these_truths_may_hurt/

Also, who wants to play for the Blue Jays under Gibbons right now? Not me...

11:37 AM  
Blogger Jackie said...

I think 2004 spoiled us all... time to come back to earth and realize that it's not reasonable to expect a miracle every time. You can't stop caring about the Sox, and they're gonna hurt you no matter what.

But hey, there's always next year.

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home