Tuesday, December 05, 2006

tidbits and tadbits

The Chickball ladies are currently s.t.ressed with final papers and projects and presentations. However, some very short commentary on today's winter meeting events.

1. Nothing to do with winter meetings, but Jon Lester has been cleared as cancer-free, with one remaining treatment on Dec. 21. He'll be able to be at the beginning of spring training. Commentary: YAY. No one so young should have cancer.

2. Sox to get Julio Lugo for $36 million for 4 years.
Commentary: Que whaaaa? I don't want a wife-beater on my team. I don't care how badly we need an SS.

3. Sox to get JD Drew for $70 million for 5 years.
Commentary: If he can stay healthy, this could be a big help. I'm gonna miss Trot, though, because, well, you just can't beat a name like "Trot." But three big bats in the lineup, 3-4-5? There's just no arguing with that.

4. The Manny debate - will they keep him or not?
Commentary: How many years have they shopped him in the offseason now? Why does the media still think that he's going to be gone until the actual end of his contract? Now, because I said that, something crazy will probably happen and I better not have jinxed it. We can't afford to have Manny go anywhere.

5. Maddux to Padres for $10 million.
Commentary: I was sad when Maddux left the Braves, because I'd always seen him as a Brave growing up. But to be with the Cubs was sort-of okay since he'd been with them before I was old enough to remember baseball... now with these weird Dodger/Padre random trades for half seasons and single seasons, I'm really weirded out and also sad, because that means that once again I am getting old and so are my childhood baseball players.

There could probably be a lot more to comment on all of these moments, so feel free. I just have to get back to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home