Tuesday, October 31, 2006

the official beginning of the end of an era

Bagwell and Biggio are reaching the ends of their respective fabulous careers with the Houston Astros. Bagwell's option for '07 was, expectedly, not picked up, and I don't think that anyone has any doubts about the fact that a retirement announcement will soon follow. It's sad that his career had to end with/because of injuries, as well as that whole messy insurance claim debacle, but there's no doubt in anyone's mind that he will always embody a part of the Killer B's of '90s Astros baseball. I hope he stays with the Astros as a coach or offers his personal services (such a strange term), because he has certainly been a noteable force in Houston for years.

Bidge and the 'Stros are still working on a one-year contract for next season, a season that everyone assumes will be his last, considering that he will be 41 and should join the 3,000 hit club sometime before the '07 all-star break. I have never failed to express my love for "my" four-time gold glove winning, five-time silver slugging, seven-time all star (at two positions), and it is safe to say that the day Biggio's playing career ends will be my personal saddest day in baseball. The media is saying that it is "unlikely" that he will play for any other team next year, and I'm pretty confident in this feeling as well, but there's a good chance I would never truly be able to forgive the Astros if they let him go for his last season. He's played his whole career for H-town, taken salary cuts to stay with the team, and has given us a rock of a player to depend on for the last 19 years. Houston baseball won't be the same when both he and Bags are gone... but I'll save the rest of my Biggio-tributing until he actually does retire. Oh, the love.

On a final Houston-related note, Clemens and Pettitte will both file for free agency in the next few weeks, and both are stating that they do not know if they will actually play again next season. Clemens, freaking retire already. You are old and you were and still can be great, but go out on a decent note before you fall to pieces and further test the patience of baseball fans everywhere. And if you pull that "half retire, half I'll-come-back-halfway-through-the-season" junk again, my patience will be more than completely gone. Pettitte is apparently "burned out," according to himself, so I respect (for now) his decision to step back for a month or so and figure out what his priorities are. He's also a lot younger than Clemens, so it's kind-of weird, but with his history of injuries over the past few seasons, I can see where he's coming from. However, if he starts playing the Clemens wish-wash game, I'll stop caring faster than a New York (ironic) minute.

This entry has made me nostalgic for mid-90s baseball in the Astrodome.

3 Comments:

Blogger BAC said...

You still had patience with Roger Clemens? You sweet, kind girl, you're much nicer than I am. lol

Also, Bagwell offering the Astros his "personal services" sounds like a great Dugout idea.

... yeah, I officially have no right to post on this blog if all I'm going to do is snark and contribute nothing of substance...

8:12 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

i've never been to the astrodome in the 90s, and you made me nostalgic for it. figure that one out and you get a prize.

my boss from the summer always said that houston was a swamp. any truth to that?

8:58 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

maybe my witticisms and incisive language? hah... JOKE. i sound like an english teacher with that phrasing.

houston is definitely not a swamp. it's also not a desert, contrary to popular belief. we do get a lot of rain, but it's more like a "flat grassland with the random areas of woodlands (evergreen)" kind of city. and now i sound like an environmental science teacher.

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home