Monday, September 11, 2006

The NFL, week 1

After a glorious sports weekend that included such events as an Ohio State-Texas matchup, the US Open, Patriots-Bills, the Sox winning a game against the Royals (!!!), and some Manning-on-Manning action, I'm exhausted and waaaaay behind on homework. Ah, the plight of a sports fan. But it was so worth blowing off Kissinger and Nixon to watch all of this go down. Here's my take on the NFL, week 1.

Player I'm most excited about: The Patriots' Laurence Maroney. A first round draft pick, Maroney was an animal in college but with Kevin Faulk and Corey Dillon being the resident Pats running backs, his position on the team was uncertain. Well, looks like they'll all be getting a fair amount of playing time and if Sunday's game is any indication, that's a good thing. The three combined for 183 rushing yards, with Maroney racking up 86 yards on 17 carries with one 27-yarder. So awesome. I love this guy already.

Without a doubt the favorite moment: The Steelers' Joey Porter kissing Bill Cowher on the cheek after his interception. Yup. This guy has a history of being a crazy person, but this was just hilarious. The announcers were beside themselves, and Andrea Kremer called him out on it in a post-game interview. Of all people, too. Bill Cowher. Gotta love this game.

The "Yeah, I kind of expected this to happen" moment: Daunte Culpepper sucking it up. I really and truly feel for the Dolphins right now. Here they are, trying to bounce back with their first "decent" quarterback since the Dan Marino years and they dish out the money for Daunte Culpepper. For their sake, I wanted to believe Culpepper would finally live up to those high expectations, but somehow I knew it wouldn't happen. Bill Simmons called it, I called it, we all called it. I mean, the game wasn't a complete blowout but the score (28-17) really does not illustrate how horrendous Culpepper performed.

Runner up for the "Yeah, I kind of expected this to happen" moment: Reggie Bush. He's, like, wicked awesome, blah blah blah, the Texans were fricken idiots to pass him up, blah blah blah...

WTF moment: Tom Brady getting sacked on the first play of the season, resulting in an immediate Bills touchdown. I think Patriots Nation was in a collective state of shock. Unreal. But they won and they're still wonderful and this team never ceases to be exciting.

New favorite ad: The Comcast On Demand commercial for The Chronicles of Narnia. Fake interviews with centaurs, people. Amazing. Additionally, I really like the MacBook commercials with "Mac" and "PC," probably because I'm now the proud owner of a MacBook and these ads make them look far superior. Which they are.

Least favorite ad: Pretty much anything that has Peyton Manning in it. How many products is he endorsing at this point? Ridiculous. Every other commercial, it was him, Eli, both, them with their dad, etc, etc. Talk about overkill. Let's hope this doesn't last the whole season... or they'll at least be limited to Colts and Giants games.

Most amusing moment: Speaking of Peyton Manning, some of the footage NBC aired of him playing football at a young age was priceless. There's a young Peyton, age three or four, running the football and some kid tries to tackle him. The reaction: Peyton throws a pseudo tantrum, yelling, "MOM! HE GRABBED ME BY THE NECK! HE CAN'T DO THAT!!" Nice to know he was a little bitch back then, too.

Most ironic moment: Okay, so I'm kind of overdoing this Peyton thing, but hey! That's what the media does! Anyway, John Madden seems to have a mancrush on Peyton, praising him on Sunday whenever he got the chance a la "Tim McCarver hearts Derek Jeter." Late in the game came this...

Madden: "He [Peyton] knows where his target is. He sees it, he executes it."

10 seconds later...

Giants interception!!!!!111

(Hehehe)

Worst style choice (Yes, I'm a girl, deal with it): NBC sideline reporter Andrea Kremer's hair. Sorry, Andrea. I think you're talented, I want your job, but you need to do something with your hair. There, I've said it.

Worst-looking movie: I saw several ads for "How to Be a Man" and not only does it look atrocious but... I really just don't get it. These guys go to a school and harrass each other? They constantly play pranks? They yell a lot? I dunno, maybe it's just me.

Idiot announcer moment: During the Giants-Colts NBC halftime show...

One of the announcers: "Ya know, I haven't seen Chad Pennington look this good since their Super Bowl run."
Bob Costas: "...And when was that?"

Yes, that's right. I aspire to write material for these people. Woo.

3 Comments:

Blogger Manton said...

Apparently Tom Jackson said Michael Irvin was retarded after another of Irvin's rants that made no sense, and Sterling Sharpe said that Favre should lose his job and that it "might" be a complete embarassment. Mmmm, football.

11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1) mccarver's mancrush on jeter is unsettling. the way he talked about his eyes still rings in my ears. but at least it gave me more fuel for my bad tim mccarver impressions.
"what the redsox reallly need to do, in this inning, is score at least one run." thanks for the deep insight, tim, i thought what they needed was to put $20 on a 3-7 quinella in the third race.
2) the eli/peyton touring sportcenter ad is kinda funny. although the LT with the throwback jersey and helmet sorting mail is hysterical. thank god for espn in mexico.

11:43 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

fantastic write up! i was watching the cowboys-jags game on nfl network last week and beth says from her bedroom, "DO I HEAR JOE BUCK?" and it was funny. sorry, that was "speaking of stupid announcers.."

11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home