Monday, March 26, 2007

can we run him out of town on a rail now?

I? Am annoyed. I woke up at 4:30 a.m., sat in the thick of a sorostitute nest on my AirTran flight into Logan, ran out of Cocoa Puffs, and can't find a clean pair of socks. I'm frustrated, tired, hungry, and my feet are FREEZING.

So the obvious solution is to tear Dan Shaughnessy a brand-new asshole.

Famous guest blogs in, the Boston Globe, 3/26/2007

Can someone PLEASE tell me why this man continues to have a job?

There's nothing of substance in this "column." It's a thousand words of vitriol that he probably wrote on the toilet one morning, and I don't know if the bigger piece of shit wound up in the toilet or on the steno pad. First of all, the "bloggers all live in their moms' basements" joke went out of vogue around the same time as pleather trousers and Sisqo did. Second of all, he's a shining example of misogynistic sports culture: all the fake questions are from men, and he talks about "late-night blog boys." Dan, it's 2007. I can vote, I can go to college, and I can run a geeky sports blog, just like the men do. If you're going to fall back on pathetic mockery to continue your lame vendetta -- and seriously, you and Schill got NOTHING on Dave Egan and Ted Williams -- at least stay away from casual chauvinism.

But most of all, I can't believe his sense of entitlement.

I just spent four days in Fort Myers, and I'm PISSED that I'm back in Boston right now. It was warm and there was ice cream and I was 20 feet away from Kevin Youkilis the entire time. Shaughnessy's been given an amazing opportunity -- he gets to spend a month and a half in Florida, all expenses paid, with the sort of player access that regular sports fans dream about. He watches every Sox game at the park for free, and he could be asking probing questions or analyzing games or even writing sentimental schlop about This Wonderful Game.

And what does he do with all of that? He gets "tired and bored."

Let's review. This man gets PAID TO WATCH SPORTING EVENTS. Sometimes, he has to go make an ass out of himself on regional television, but otherwise, he pulls down a decent salary for watching games and writing about them later. (Um, I do that for free, AND I'm cuter.) His job consists of immersing himself in the sort of stuff that the rest of us only get to do after quitting time. And he has the NERVE to say that he's "tired and bored"? No, Dan, "tired" is my dad after he's been driving a tractor-trailer around New England for fifteen hours a day. "Bored" is me after ten hours of archival research, when my eyes are red with the strain of going through every 19th-century legal document I can find just so I can write a single paragraph in a research paper. Red Sox spring training is not the sort of thing that makes anyone "bored and tired," and the fact that he has the nerve to suggest that his monthlong paid vacation is even remotely equivalent to actual WORK, be it manual or mental, is enough to make me pull my own (but much prettier) curly hair out.

So, Dan? I'm not really one to wish others ill -- okay, actually, I am -- but God, I cannot wait for the day when newspapers become obsolete and you have to become a "late-night blog boy" yourself. Good luck finding an audience -- and we're not giving you Manton.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH MY HOLY LORD. You are brilliant beyond brilliant, and now you make me want to steal that asshole's job right out from under him. He really is wasting it, isn't he?? Oh, and you are prettier, by the way. :D

IS IT FRIDAY YET?!
-your loyal reader

9:32 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

i love you. love you love you love you. the end. you can take his or any other sportswriter's job any day and i'd read you like you were my new religion.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Ok. I'm not the biggest Shaughnessy fan in the world (not even close, actually) and I can understand why you'd be angry that a sports columnist said he was tired and bored.

However.

Consider that he's been in Fort Myers, FL (not the most exciting location) for the past month, without his friends and family, attempting to find interesting story lines from the same few people who offer tired quotes every day. Writing about sports is a dream for some, but it's not the easy job a lot of people think it is. I've spent the semester in a Sports Journalism Seminar course in which various people from the industry come in every week and tell us the hell they go through on a regular basis. If there's anyone left in that class who still wants to be a beat writer, I would be shocked.

The CHB is a pain in the ass (see today's article about Dice-K), and I wish he'd try a different tactic with his writing, but he in no way has an easy job.

10:33 PM  
Blogger Suzie said...

Pam, it's Shaughnessy. I may have just thrown up in my mouth a little bit when I realized you were DEFENDING the bastard.

You may remember that once upon a time, I wanted to be a beat writer myself. And I got out, fast. I knew I couldn't handle the constant travel, and the idea of invading others' privacy on a daily basis bothered me. I'm not saying that sportswriting is easy, because I know it's not (and I've seen the time and effort you've put into broadcasting over the last few years) -- but I'm saying that Shaughnessy consistently sucks at it, doesn't even TRY to be good at his job, and never even gives us the impression that he enjoys doing anything beyond bitching and stirring the muck.

If Gammo or Edes came out and said they were "tired and bored," I might roll my eyes and make a sarcastic crack, but it wouldn't enrage me. When Shaughnessy does it, I think about the fact that he's done nothing but churn out effortless tripe for the last twenty years, and I wonder exactly what about that could possibly be tiring.

Next thing I know, you'll be writing love letters to Tim McCarver! :D

11:32 PM  
Blogger Manton said...

I can't believe you're still reading him

3:46 AM  
Blogger Suzie said...

Mantypants, this is why I hate it when the Globe website doesn't give bylines all the time. Had this not just appeared on the "top five stories" sidebar with no explanation, we wouldn't be in this predicament. :P

7:11 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

McCarver would have to go on air during a Twins broadcast and say something to the effect of, "The ladies really love Joe Mauer. Something about his sideburns, boyish charm, and cute butt" for me to consider writing a love letter to him. Heh.

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home