Wednesday, January 31, 2007

17 days...

"Is it bad that I was watching SportsCenter at the gym today, and they were showing highlights of the Venezuelan world series, and I got totally into it? I realized I was waving the dude home on a bases clearing double to win the game in the bottom of the 9th after they were down 8 runs going into the ninth. I think the people around me thought I was nuts. I cannot watch SportsCenter at the gym for this reason. I miss baseball."
-e-mail I received today

Once the Patriots were booted in the AFC Championship, a grueling, somewhat enjoyable season came to a close. And about a day after that, I started seriously missing my one true love, baseball. The off-season hot stove reports are only somewhat satisfying. What truly feeds the appetite is the return of Baseball Tonight on ESPN. I need to smell sausage and beer wafting from the direction of Yawkey Way, hear the soft roar from Fenway after an RBI double. I want to latch onto an unsung hero and contemplate buying his jersey, donning my faithful Jason Varitek shirt in the meantime. I'm not proud of the fact that I participate in a fantasy baseball league every year, but it's strange not having lineup adjustments as part of my daily routine.

It's time.

Pitchers and catchers report: 17 days
First workout: 18
Position players report: 21
First full workout: 22
First spring training game: 28
First regular season game: 61
Opening day at Fenway: 69

Until then, if anyone needs me, I'll be mourning the loss of Theo Epstein's bachelorhood. So much for my elaborate plan to meet and woo him with the help of his father, Boston University prof Leslie Epstein. It's official: this school is good for NOTHING.

5 Comments:

Blogger Manton said...

Oh man, fantasy baseball? Yeah, I'd do that again.

...if I'm allowed back.

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As will I. I'll even pay attention most of the season this time. And not make off color comments.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Suzie said...

at least neither of you spent half the draft talking about how hot jonathan taylor thomas used to be and then discovered you'd been having this conversation in front of pam's dad.

11:31 PM  
Blogger Manton said...

No, all I did was almost win the whole thing by making only one unneccesary move. God dammit I'm pissed I didn't win.

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you're pissed. But if you're looking to win at something else, ignore the upcoming UNH vs. BU games.

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home