Monday, June 05, 2006

pre-draft mutterings

Quick hits before the draft tomorrow --

If Kansas City's smart, they'll take INF Evan Longoria out of Long Beach State U. Rumor has it that there's a deal already in place with RHP Luke Hochevar, but my vote goes to Longoria. Cape League MVP last year, There aren't any slam-dunks this year -- no Justin Uptons, no Delmon Youngs. Andrew Miller's good, but he's not a sure thing. Fastest to the bigs and most valuable as a trading chip? My money's on Longoria. I do like Miller, though, so taking him near the top wouldn't be a bad decision for anyone.

I'd take Longoria first, Miller second, Hochevar third, Greg Reynolds (Stanford RHP) fourth, and Houston RHP Brad Lincoln fifth.

The Sox pick 27th and 28th, so most of my favorites will be gone by then, but I'll hold out hope for Matt Antonelli (3B at Wake Forest, originally from Peabody, MA), Tim Lincecum (RHP, Univ. of Washington, who throws 101 MPH despite being 6 feet tall in high-heeled disco cleats), high school catcher Max Sapp, and Pedro Beato (RHP from St. Petersburg CC). Lincecum is a tricky case -- he was projected to go in the second round before the season started, but he's been absolutely en fuego this year and it's possible that he might go somewhere in the top five. Wouldn't be a bad pick that high up, but I just selfishly want him on the Sox for myself.

*

RE: the first inning of tonight's Red Sox/Yankees matchup -- WHY THE HELL AREN'T YOU COVERING HOME PLATE, BECKETT? I don't care if it's not a routine play, it's COMMON SENSE.

1 Comments:

Blogger Manton said...

I personally blame V-Tek, cause he was standing around like a dope after that attrocious throw. Man did Beckett not throw well - not even to second. I'll talk about my day at the park on my blog (sniggity snap crossover and shit).

And yes, it was the best sporting event I've attended since winning HE against BC.

1:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home